Let’s face it – window cleaning can be tedious and repetitive. That’s probably the reason you often hear maids in TV and movie comedies insist that they will do any household chore other than that. Nevertheless, it is a job that has to be done and as they say “a job worth doing is a job worth doing well.” So that we will hopefully make this chore less tedious and more rewarding, we present you with some tips on how to clean windows like a professional without paying the professional fees.
- Gather your cleaning supplies together: Streak free window cleaning requires that you have the right tools for the job ahead. At a minimum these items include water and vinegar, a sponge or lint-free cloth, a large bucket and a scraper (for stickers and gummy deposits).
- Use the right cleaning products: You don’t actually need fancy products with special formulations to do an excellent job on your windows. One common substance that is around most homes that we recommend is vinegar. Cleaning solutions that contain ammonia or alcohol can not only cause streaking, they can also leave a thin film on your window that attracts dust. Vinegar and distilled water are excellent cleaning agents for glass. Vinegar is non-toxic, anti-bacterial and its acidic content is completely safe for skin, pets and children. Distilled water has fewer mineral deposits in it than tap water.
- Don’t use too much soap: A large amount of soap will create suds which will dry and leave streaks and stains. Therefore, experiment with different detergent levels in your cleaning solution.
- Banish paper towels: Paper towels contain wood fibers which can cause micro-scratches to appear on your window. Instead use a microfiber cloth or squeegee to get the job done.
- Remove stubborn stains: Unfortunately, windows can sometimes attract sticky residues to them such as sap, bug remains, bird droppings, stickers, etc. To clean these use vinegar and a scraper being sure to wet the tool first.
- Don’t use newspaper: Many people use newspaper to clean their windows but the truth is it can easily leave messy newsprint behind. This can cause streaks to appear on your window.
In short, the less dirt and grime your windows accumulate, the less time you’ll spend cleaning them. Also, by using these techniques you will be letting in more sunshine into your home and you will be improving its overall appearance. Our sliding doors in Maryland and our custom door replacement in Maryland also improve the look and increase the value of your home. Take a look at some of our windows and doors and see how they can improve your home.