Happy 4th of July to our friends, family and customers. We celebrate all the men and women who have made sacrifices for our freedom. This year we’ll staying close to home and enjoying the company of one another- we also plan to make some pulled pork on the smoker! Here’s the recipe. What are you making for the 4th?
- 2 10-12 lb. bone-in pork butts
- Your favorite pork/poultry rub
- Your favorite BBQ sauce
- 2 C brown sugar
- 1 ½ C butter (6 sticks)
- 1 ½ C apple juice
- ½ C hot sauce
- 1 ½ C pineapple juice
- ¾ C Butcher’s BBQ Pork Injection. (you can make a simple one with common ingredients from your pantry)
- Trim the pork butt- be careful to leave the bottom fat cap in place
- Inject with pork injection every 1/2″ throughout pork butt
- Let set for 4-8 hrs refrigerated
- Smoke at 225°F – spritz with apple juice every 30 minutes.
- Cook until internal temperature reaches 165°F
- Remove and sprinkle each pork butt with 1 cup brown sugar, ¾ cup butter, ¼ cup hot sauce, and ¼ cup Pork/Poultry Rub. Add ¾ cup apple juice to pan. Cover each pan with foil, sealing it tightly. Increase temperature to 275°F. Place back in grill and let finish until pork butt internal temp is 204°F, or when the bone can easily be pulled out. Remove pans from grill and strain out pan juices. Add pan juices to BBQ sauce. Glaze each pork butt with sauce mixture, then cover each with food safe plastic wrap and double layer with foil. Place wrapped pork butts in an insulated cooler, covering with towels. Rest pork butts for 2 hours. After resting, pull the pork butt into large chunks, removing and discarding the bone and any fat. Mix with additional sauce if desired and serve.