It won’t be winter officially for a few more days, but we’ve already seen two snowstorms! (kind of). With the holiday season in full swing the last thing we want to worry about is high energy bills at home. Here are a few tips to help make it through the winter.
- Lower the Thermostat A pretty obvious tip- but according to the department of energy for every degree you turn the thermostat down you’ll save about 1% on your Energy bill.
- Small Space Heaters improve the comfort of the room where you’re spending the most time. To offset the cost of the space heater you’ll need to turn the thermostat down by about 5 degrees.
- Add window treatments such as quilted curtains to help block air-infiltrations.
- Open window treatments on windows with direct sun exposure- usually the south facing windows.
- Find and seal leaks using an infrared thermometer. Seal leaks from the interior. Exterior caulking will help waterproof your home but to tighten up the air-infiltration it’s best to work from the inside.
If you determine that the windows need more work from a professional give us a call. We’ll let you know if we think your windows need to be replaced and what your options are.